Cindy,
I am wondering what you mean when you say neither the CT scan and MRI told you anything. They should be very effective tools for diagnosis of cancers. As Mark said, the waiting time is a real torture to both patients and their caregivers. That is why I insisted on working as usual before treatment and eating a lot of nutritious food to save energy for the treatment. Eating would be difficult soon after treatment.I had no surgery so no advice on this issue but for radiation, it didn't hurt during the process. For me, the mouth and throat sore appeared two weeks after the first treatment and the skin burn showed up four weeks after. The skin around the neck was severely burned with blood. Looked aweful but the pain wasn't that bad. Not everyone goes through the same experience. There are always some lucky and unlucky ones. So don't worry about something that has not yet happened.
Take care.

Karen stage 4 tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/01.

Karen stage 4B (T3N3M0)tonsil cancer diagnosed in 9/2001.Concurrent chemo-radiation treatment ( XRT x 48 /Cisplatin x 4) ended in 12/01. Have been in remission ever since.