Hi everyone,
I should start out by saying that I have not been diagnosed with oral cancer. I am just very concerned about it.

I chewed tobacco (Dip) since college and am now 39. After years of trying and succeeding for a time, then failing, I finally quit a year ago. I used to dip on the bottom of my mouth, but when I had an issue with gum recession about 8 years ago, I moved to the top since I had no success quitting.

Anyway, in the last few months, I have noticed a small (about 2 or 3 mm) normally pigmented oval outline (not even a "bump" really) over one tooth and a little bit of a soft movable "extra gum" which is also normally pigmented over the next tooth (again, pretty small), in the area where I put the tobacco. I find myself looking at the area constantly.

I went to the dentist, who said it was nothing to worry about. I also saw two oral surgeons, who saw nothing to be concerned with and said they are just normal things that go on, but gave me no explanation why I would have these two new (I think) changes in my mouth in the area where I dipped. One, who looked at it very quickly, said about the one spot, "it is a gland" but it doesn't look like a gland to me. I asked if they thought I should have a biopsy and they both said no. I have an appointment on the 27th with a guy here in Philly who seems to be the best diagnostician around.

My wife thinks I am nuts not to just trust the oral surgeons, and really doesn't want to hear it anymore but after reading a lot here and elsewhere, I don't think I am being nuts at all (in her defense, this is not the first time I have been concerned about an area that turned out to be benign). I guess my question is how much I should push for a biopsy? At least a brush biopsy? I guess if 3 well-respected oral surgeons see nothing to be concerned with, I need to accept that and move on (while still doing monthly self-examinations), right?

I just don't want to be the guy who doesnt' press it and then find out a year or two from now that I really should have.

I have two little kids and I need to be as careful as I can.

I am sorry if I maybe shoudln't be posting here since I haven't even been told to have a biopsy but I have been so impressed by the people on these boards and this stress has been making me so uncomfortable, that I thought it would ok to ask.

Thanks for any advice.

Brian