I haven�t posted for some time. I got used to being normal again. Restarted my business and rebuilt my life. I wasn�t a patient any more, just a normal guy. Just over a month ago I noticed a firm spot under my jaw. I saw my ENT and he was concerned but not overly concerned. I mentioned that I was scheduled for two root canals in the following weeks. He said I should get those done and then we might want to schedule a PET. He said any infection from the tooth might skew the PET.
Got PET yesterday and call from ENT today. He is now officially concerned, wants me in for a biopsy on Tuesday. He said the lymph node was fairly large and lit up the PET. This node is behind and under my jaw so it probably went unnoticed for some time. I do have some pain in that area but chalked it up to the bad teeth.
ENT was fairly certain that this is a recurrence based on size, doing the biopsy to be certain. I had been on a 6 month schedule with him so this thing had some time to get away from me.
I don�t want to go through radiation again and possibly lose ability to talk or swallow. Don�t even know what the procedure is for a node removal after prior treatment other than the neck dissection. I assume I�ll do chemo at least this time, may look into a trial or something after that. I�ll be in the poor house if I lose my ability to speak or swallow, and I fear dragging my family in there with me.

OK �..I�ve vented

Kelly
Male
48, SCC (Soft Palet) Rt.,
Stage 1, T3n0m0,
Dx, 8-09, Start IMRT 35 9-2-09 end 10-21-09
04-20-10 NED
8-11 recurrence, node rt. neck N2b
10-11 33 IMRT w/chemo wkly
3-12-12 PET - residual cancer
4-12 5 treatments with Cyberknife & Erbitux
6-19-12 Pet scan CLEAR