Hi Karen,

It looks like this thread has a taken a turn but I still want to answer your initial question:) You did get great advice from great people already though.

I am a huge advocate of therapy and medication if needed. I took Lexapro. It took about 4-6 weeks to really kick in and was the only one I ever tried. I think I was lucky in that respect. It was also easy to ween off of which I think is huge because I hate that process.

Everyone is different and I feel men may shy away from actually going to see a therapist more than women (sorry for the comment men, I know it doesn't apply to all) but it was HUGE for me. Finding the right person can be as hard as the right medication so you can't give up. The first therapist I saw was horrible for me. The second was awesome and I cried the entire first hour!! Man did I feel good!! It's just nice to talk to someone about how your feeling, what you're thinking etc. I don't know what makes it so different from talking to family but it is. My theraoist was also able to give me great advice of how to put things in perspective and that's ok and good to be sad and cry. We have to feel those scary feelings.

I think most people are scared to die or at least how they are going to die. When you have cancer you think you know how your life will end you just don't when. That is scary....

Hope to hear more good stories about Alex's golf!! And hope to hear he starts feeling better soon.

Suzanne
T1 SCC on right side of tongue
Age 31...27 when diagnosed
4 partial glossectomies
No chemo or radiation
Biopsy on 2/2/10-Clear
Surgery needed again...no later than April 2011
Loving life and just became a mother on 11/25/10
It's not what we CAN'T do..it's what we CAN do:)