Thanks everyone, you are all so positive. I think that the advice about taking it gradually makes sense. He is trying to do some things that make him feel productive right now. He putters around the house and drives to his office a couple of day a week just to do paperwork. Tonight was the first night since this all started that he expressed fears about "permanent side effects." He is worried about his salivary glands never coming back and his ability to enjoy food. He has been very positive so far but I know that his throat is starting to hurt more and more and that we will soon need the mouthwash to help numb it a bit. I did not know that you could use the Carnation in the tube. Thank you Christine for the advice. I will remember that. I guess we have to stop doing the "what if's" . The doctor had mentioned a "new Normal" and now for the first time my husband realizes that there really might be a difference in his life after recovery. He said to me "this is serious and I might never be the same." I am so sad for him.

caregiver for husband
diagnosed with oral cancer May 2011 after 6 mo
node lft side and several in jaw involved
Base of Tongue Stage IVA
7 weeks radiation
Cisplatin-3 chemos (beginning,middle,end) IntraV administration