Yes - actually I was going to post on this - I am not sure why after we go through such brutal surgeries and treatments we aren't told to go get physio, massage, acupuncture, lymphedema decongesting....?
This all helps post op. And post treatment. I started physio for my shoulder and neck 3 weeks into radiation. I went here they gave me exercises I went home and throughout my rads I did them except for maybe one week. These exercises have helped me get 90% function back on my shoulder and neck. I not go to physio weekly where they tweak what I am doing. My neck still stffens up if it's in the same position for an extended period of time but it loosens up quickly. Also once a week for the past 6 weeks I've been going to acupuncture - he is helping me with my taste which has returned fairly well though some things still taste off and my sweet just came back his evening... I think - I'll know for sure tomorrow. The acupuncture has also really relaxed my neck muscles, and helps with the feeling in it, and improved my range of motion. it's amazing the difference and today he got a dab of blood when he pulled the needle out - he says it's good because it means blood flow is returning to the area which helps you heal. Up to today there was none. I also go for a weekly lymphatic draining. Sounds gross but it's a gentle massage to the affected nodes, to help decrease the swelling and build new pathways where the nodes have been removed. Doing this during the first year post rads and surgery helps lessen your fibrosis. So basically he tools are available to help us but no one suggests it unless you know to ask.I know they wont solve all problems but they will help! Have a great day!

Cheryl : Irritation - 2004 BX: 6/2008 : Inflam. BX: 12/10, DX: 12/10 : SCC - LS tongue well dif. T2N1M0. 2/11 hemigloss + recon. : PND - 40 nodes - 39 clear. 3/11 - 5/11 IMRT 33 + cis x2, PEG 3/28/11 - 5/19/11 3 head, 2 chest scans - clear(fingers crossed) HPV-, No smoke, drink, or drugs, Vegan