In an effort to be responsible but realistic parents, some of us parents of teens think about condom use this way: Abstinence is what we want and expect. But, we know it isn't always that simple nor is it safe and/or healthy not to advocate the use of condoms. So, we find we're saying, "we don't want you to have sex but if you do, use a condom."

Personally, I keep the lines of communication open with my sons all the time, seize upon "teachable moments", and have made it a part of family life to talk about things we see or hear about in the media or even in our community. It surprises me how many people are still very shy and won't talk to their children about sex. I handle talking about illegal drug use and alcohol abuse in the same way.

When we had the Gardisil vaccination series started for our sons, we talked very openly with them about the reasons for them to have the vaccine. Also, I sat with my 17 year old son and his pediatrician and discussed it. Although he's a shy kid, he didn't get embarassed, and didn't complain about what we were talking about.

As parents, it's not that were advocating a particular behavior...we're just aware we can't prevent it from happening. So, it's best to protect them and educate them.

Ex-spouse MISDIAGNOSED with SCC-HN IVa 12/10. Tonsils out 1/11. 4 teeth out 2/11. TX Erbitux x2, IMRT x2 2/11. 2nd opinion-benign BCC-NOT CANCER 3/11. TX stopped 3/11. New doctors 4/11. ENT agrees with 2nd opinion 5/11. ENT scoped him-all clear 7/11. Ordered MRI anyway. MRI 8/22/11 Result-all clear.