Ok, clear margins indicate that the cancer was in an area that they could remove it and enough surrounding tissue to get all of the identified cancer, its a good sign.

Clear lymph nodes are a really good sign. If cancer spreads to.the lymph system it can go anywhere in the body in a hurry. Distant mets significantly lowers a patients overall Outlook.

Perineural invasion means the cancer has been found around the nerve, the significance there is it has the tendency of traveling where that nerve goes further raising the risk of metastisis. I had PNI and my tx protocol involved making sure the field of radiation covered the path of the nerve and that most of that nerve was removed during surgery. The removal was an added step as rads actually took care of it in my case.

Hope that helps

Eric

Last edited by EricS; 04-27-2011 01:43 PM.

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.