It's always nice NOT to find a new member of our oral cancer community. I'm glad that you received good news. Now before you go and get that node FNB, here are a few questions to ask. If it is just mucositis, how did the doctor make that determination? For me, what I would want (besides his experience and expert opinion) would be a simple 3-minute brush biopsy of the area in question. This will cost between 40 and 70 dollars and is the only DEFINITIVE way to rule out the really bad stuff, and you'll have an answer in about two days. You cannot diagnose cancer without a biopsy. If you have mucositis, what is causing it? If you have this big swollen node in your neck, what is causing that? Certainly not mucositis. Nodes that swell up are either representative of a significant infection (ear, tooth abscess etc.), and those make it sore and painful, or the bad things like the big "C" which cause it to swell up usually without associated pain . You need to know why it is there. While I believe there are plenty of competent doctors out there who can diagnose mucositis and differentiate it from other things, mucositis is a symptom and not a disease. You need to fully understand why it and the node are acting up. Ask a few more questions. Then we'll be happy to say goodbye to you!!!

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.