This post is in relation to more younger, non-smokers getting oral cancers. I was one of them myself. What I can tell you from many discussions with doctors around the country is there is at least anecdotal evidence that this is indeed happening, though there has been no peer reviewed study to confirm these general impressions that many doctors have. The changes a cell goes through from normal to malignant take several genetic mutations. Since all cancers result from this process, the question becomes, what can be causing this genetic damage? The most likely culprit at this time is the human papilloma virus. Two strains of it, #16 and 18, are already known to cause 95% of all cervical cancers in women. It is estimated that 40 million Americans have the HPV virus, but it is unknown how many have these two versions that cause cancers. To the best of knowledge, the other versions of this virus only cause benign things like warts. HPV is sexually transmitted. In California next year women will be tested for HPV along with their regular PAP. Finding out that you have it, doesn

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.