Zach, I've done some homework since DX. You find there are about 144 strains of HPV. You need a genotype ID to varify if you have #16 (or in rare cases #18) If you are only having a general positive without some typem of biopsy then you are only being tested for the antibody which not only will about 50% of American males will test positive for but will do so for life long after they have kicked out the virus. HPV16+ oral cancers are happening in about 1 in 4,000 males right now. They say we have an advantage over HPV16-(neg) cases but that a smoking history will negate this advantage. You are going to find a lot of conflicting "facts" and opinions out there. This site has been a HUGE help for me. You need to go to an ENT doctor, get scoped. insist on diag. work and possibly some biopsys. You'll be fine. You might jsut have an ear infection but go get it checked right away so you can get some piece of mind. Oh..and if you do have oral HPV it didn't "spread" to your mouth. I'm of the shcool that that's where we caught it, but what do I know. Stick around, you'll be alright.

Lump in left side neck discovered Sept 2009
Misdiagnosed & FNA inconclusive
Large lymph node removed Nov. 2010 SCC and HPV16 pos
PET pointed tonsilectomy Feb. 2011
1ml tumor left side tonsil
Rads scheduled March 14th 2011. 2X36 GY's (72)
CarboTaxol once a week X 4 or 5 starting 4/5/11
No PEG