Buster, some patients need to use a suction machine during their recovery. It will suction out all that gunk and you will feel so much better with that stuff out of your system. When I was recovering, I had all that gunk too. A couple times I was choking so much I really thought I was going to choke to death on that stuff. I would pull it out of my mouth with my fingers. Then one day it disappeared, just completely gone! It was replaced with dry mouth. I had to constantly take small sips of water and carried a water bottle with me everywhere I went. Nights I used a humidifier and the biotene gel which coats your mouth so your tongue doesnt get stuck while you are sleeping.

All these things are normal and part of your recovery. Have a long talk with your MO, RO or ENT. Im sure they are very familiar with everything you are experiencing. They will be able to prescribe the suction machine for you. Keep up your nutrition of minimum 2500 calories daily and 48 oz water. This could be why you arent feeling much better yet. The better your nutrition, the better you will feel.

Best of luck with your continued recovery!

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma