so sorry to hear of ur loss of your husband and ur job. I sure hope this isn't cancer, but have you checked with ur county to see if there is any assistance for medical insurance through them? Here in minnesota, we have minnesota care, GMAC and MA. All are county assisted medical insurance programs, and I was on minnesota care when I was diagnosed, but when I had my surgery, I was moved to MA cuz I was no longer able to work, and had no income, and MA paid for everything. Might be worthwhile to check into.
What part of IL are you in? I started my journey with my dentist, and they referred me to one oral surgeon. That oral surgeon did my biopsy finally after 5 months had gone by from my finding it, but then I was referred to my current oral surgeon who is at U of m, which isn't a cancer center, but he is one of the best in the state for oral cancer, and they have treated many many patients of head and neck cancer there. So I stayed there instead of going to Mayo which is a CCC.

Also, if you don't qualify for a county assisted medical insurance program, sometimes hospitals and clinics have their own special program that you can qualify for that will take care of or help with medical bills. Up here, all of our hospitals have their own special programs to help with low to no income families.

Again hope this isn't cancer, but i will keep you in my thoughts!!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010