Last week he was diagnosed with SCC stage 4, BOT. Apparently there's quite a large tumor there which has spread to, I think, 2 lymph nodes. I just got this from him which I'll copy in verbatim (though with some corrected spelling):

"I have just received the PET scan which shows a large hypermetabolic right tongue mass extending into the right tonsillar pillar 3 cm in diameter w maximal SUV of 14 AND an enlarged 4.8 cm right level III lymph node w maximal SUV of 11.5 AND a 1,5 hypermetabolic level II lymph node w maximal SUV of 11.1."

He's told me that his doctors have suggested a 9 week, 3 cycle course of chemo (didn't say what kind) followed by "3 weeks" of RT (again, total days or Gy not specified as yet).

Although I've read plenty of posts by people with BOT masses, I don't have personal experience with this and would welcome any guidance from those more knowledgeable.

I've recommended that my friend come on here, but he's not accustomed to online forums so may be reluctant. He's being treated at Baptist Hospital in Miami by a whole raft of docs - I think he mentioned 6. I know that the University of Miami is a CCC, as does he, and he may go there for a second opinion.

Any advice greatly appreciated. This person has never been a smoker and I believe is only a casual drinker. Don't know if he's been tested for HPV but I've recommended it. I'll follow up with anything additional he tells me.

Many thanks, everyone.
David 2

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18