Hi Joe,
We know how scary it can be and just how easy that is. When I was first noticing subtle symptoms, slight hoarseness, sensation of something caught in my throat, I was sure that it was a Peritonsilar Abcess (PTA). A dentist in my AA group asked me if there was any pain and I said no and she said that is bad. Shortly thereafter I made an appointment with an ENT (I had been seeing various doctors to attempt to get a medical solution but obviously, they were not qualified and that includes a GP [X2] and oral surgeon , my dental hygenist and dentist). While I was doing the research on PTA, I found images that looked like my tumor - but - there was one site that I went to that had an oral cancer with graphic photos of a radical neck disection. When I finally saw the ENT I was in fear of them sticking a needle in it to lance and drain it. Within 15 seconds the ENT told me I had a highly advanced tonsil cancer and the prognosis wasn't good. My brain IMMEDIATELY went back to the link with the graphic images of the RND and I passed out. Fortunately his prognosis was incorrect and I am cancer free today. Most of us went through an extended period of fear from this. I don't think you would be human if you didn't. But, as has been said here many times, "it ain't cancer until the pathology report says so".

My root canal was very old too - the tooth just cracked and that was all it took for an infection to get going (at the base of the root) and then the fisula. There was no (or minimal) pain to speak of, especially after the fistula started draining the pus. A fistula is a normal body response to drain pus and infection when there are no other avenues for it.

Try not to get too freaked out and don't forget to breath.

Last edited by Gary; 02-27-2011 09:10 PM.

Gary Allsebrook
Dx 11/22/02, SCC, 6 x 3 cm Polypoid tumor, rt tonsil, Stage III/IVA, T3N0M0 G1/2
Tx 1/28/03 - 3/19/03, Cisplatin ct x2, IMRT, bilateral, with boost, x35(69.96Gy)
"You are a mist that appears for a little while and then vanishes" (James 4:14 NIV)