Well, it was a year ago last Saturday that Teresa underwent surgery to remove a little over 1/3 of her tongue. This time a year ago we were all scared to death! I am totally thrilled to report that she is doing GREAT, and her MDs are all very pleased. If anyone met her today, they would have absolutely no idea that she had ever undergone the surgery and radiation. She often talks about food tasting wonderful. The only lingering side effect is, of course, the dry mouth. Someone recommended theramints and she loves those, and says they are the best ever as she can carry these tiny mints in her purse.

Her doctors don't have her doing scans, but she sees them monthly. (I think because perineural invasion was the only reason that rads were needed.) Today the oral surgeon changed her visits to every 3 months. Needless to say we are so grateful that her recovery has been so fast and has surpassed our expectations.

So often, it seems, that the people who do well disappear from the forums after the recovery beings. Just wanted to share this positive update to encourage those still on this journey. Also to thank you all again for the support and information you provided to me. You helped me, and helped me to help her. I love you all and will continue share.

Dodie

Aunt diag. 2/4/10 with SCC Stage I/II on left side of tongue. Surgery 2/19/10 part. gloss./neck diss. on left side/free flap from chest muscle. TI/II,NO,MO. Clear margins with perineural invasion. Started rads 4/8/10 - 35 treatments, finished 5/26/10.