Greetings. male, 45, 35 year survivor. I had a tumorectomy of my left soft palate, 85 RADS (the measurement at that time) of beta and gamma over a 6 week period, and 2 years of chemo to include Vincristin, Adriomycin, Dactinomysin and Cytoxan. I have virtually no taste and every time i swallow i aspirate food which often also goes into my nasopharynx (and rots sometims giving me intermittent dragon breath, LOL)
few things i have found. Dairy is very good for protein and ease of eating. i put beef stew in a blender sometimes, which is not bad, but usually eat normal foods of ANY type, but it is not interesting to me, so provided i have enough calories and basic nutrients, i just eat anything that catches my eye or looks easy to swallow. chow mein is good, omelettes that are wet, thick and gooey (refried beans, oatmeal, etc.)
perhaps your husband would be able to taste citrus or more sour things. I find if i drink wine with a meal, it helps stuff go down and lets me have some taste.
I will often add oil (corn, saffola, peanut) to foods to make them slick and to add calories, at 120 cal per Tablespoon. I also often add metamucil to thicken things if they need more bulk. you may notice a trend of stuff that sounds pretty vile, but i think we measure the utility of food more than the palatability, yes?
I had an inch of my carotid replaced after 8 TIAs, due to 97% blockage, secondary to the radiation stenosis in 1997 and in 2002 polyps removed from my vocal folds, caused by the oropharyngeal tube in the 97 surgery, then in 2004 a very unsuccessful crycopharyngotomy to try to open my throat and as a result my swallowing in accomplished mostly by neck manipulation and head tilting. My epiglottis is half gone and fairly paralyzed
as is my lower lip and jaw, in other words, eating is something i do, like shaving or carrying out the garbage. I eat cause i have to to do the things i want to.
i have people email me and text me reminding me to eat, cause i will forget for days, heehee. but truly, it is all good. I have not felt hungry in 35 years and dont really remember how things taste, so i dont think much about it except when i am choking or spontaneously vomiting.... pretty entertaining, certainly.. :o)

alright im done prattling on, but best of luck, and remember... It is always good, even when it is not. :o)

side note: Cannabis can be very effective in improving appetite. Dont know your state law, but if you can, give that a try. i cant cause i have a federal job, but im told it works WONDERS.

peace