Hi, I have come onto this site after getting home from parents after Mum been told today that she has a tumour wrapped round her carotid artery and it is well into her jaw bone too.

She had surgey for mouth cancer 13 months ago and we hoped that was it after radiotherapy as well and removal of some lymph nodes and part of inside of mouth.

After being is such pain recently, consultant ordered MRI and has told her that it is inoperable and cant be cured.

She has been told that she will start chemo next week and they will try and shrink it. However, Dad said that consultant was clear tht this will not remove tumour.

My question is are they just buying Mum some time here or can the chemo stop the tumour for a length of time that would mean that she could have chemo each time to shrink it?

I am really concerned that this is fast growing as a scan in April revealed nothing.

My Dad says that he could tell the consultant was resigned to the fact it was a case of trying to keep Mum comfortable.

Any advice, steer or info you can provide might assist me with knowing or confirming whether I am right to feel so pessimistic for my beautiful mum. SHe is only 62.