Hi David, I did not receive chemo either, and in fact the ENT said much the same thing about chemo not having much effect on my type of cancer. Since he is the surgeon perhaps he is not quite on top of the latest and greatist chemo options. I don't know and that was over 2 years ago. I did ask him if there were other treatment options and his said yes some minor differences but they all have similar outcomes. Based on how chemo affects people I am pretty happy I didn't get it.

It seem that cutting out as much as you can and then blasting the rest with photon torpedoes (or vice versa) is pretty normal. If your cancer was caught early then, since the cure rate is higher, the risk of chemo perhaps was too high in relation.

Gary, help me out here your link headline said "no appreciable difference" getting chemo vs just radiation alone but further down was this:

"In a preliminary analysis after two years, researchers found no significant difference between the two groups in the percentage of patients remaining cancer-free. The cancer recurred in 26 percent of patients receiving radiation alone and in 20 percent of those receiving chemotherapy and radiation. There also was no significant difference between the two groups in overall survival

Mark, 21 Year survivor, SCC right tonsil, 3 nodes positive, one with extra-capsular spread. I never asked what stage (would have scared me anyway) Right side tonsillectomy, radical neck dissection right side, maximum radiation to both sides, no chemo, no PEG, age 40 when diagnosed.