i had radiation, but no chemo. Also had surgery.

But radiation knocked my voice out from my 4th week of 6 to about 3 weeks after, so about a month and 3 weeks of no voice.

Lump in the throat is a common feeling with reflux disease, and sometimes people get that while on the peg, sometimes due to not sitting up long enough after feedings and it can slide around and back up into ur throat. Maybe ask a doc for a reflux med, or you can try an over the counter one like omeprazole or zantac.

Also the last 2 weeks of treatment and the next 2 weeks after that i was sleeping almost 20 hours a day, so if you are tired, sleep, don't fight it.

As for the taste issue, mine came back like a month after radiation was done. But it's different. tomatoes are spicy, cant tolerate vinegar like in pickles, and can't stand spicy things at all. Or bubbles from caffeine. Some is starting to get a bit better, but still have issues with all.

Everyone experiences different things though. You might get your taste back just the same as you had it before, with no problems.

I have a question though. Are you using a mouth wash of water, salt and baking soda? I found that to help with the thick mucous, dryness and some of the pain. Also helped me refresh my mouth. I used it probably 5 times a day, but they usually recommend at least 3 times a day with radiation.

You are doing great and keep up the good work. Almost done and before you know it, you will live your life and be almost back to "normal".

I am 8 months post surgery and 3 months post radiation, and just dealing with the spicy and bubbles from carbonation issue and when i wake up, i rinse with the water, salt and baking soda mix to get rid of thick mucous feeling, but it's only when i first wake up. Otherwise, all other symptoms have pretty much resolved, but like i said, its different for everyone.

Hoping that treatment runs as smoothly as possible for you!!

25/female at diagnosis
Dx;stage 3 SCC tongue 03/25/2010
Surgery 04/13/2010
Trach,ng tube, peg feeding tube
Hemiglossectomy, right side neck dissection, 40 lymph nodes removed. Free-Flap transplant to tongue.
30 rounds IMRT ended July 15,2010