I first was diagnosed with pre cancer in 2005, and cancer in 2007 or 2008. I had a great ENT whom I liked and trusted. He had to go take care of his National Guard duties, which made me respect him even more. When he left I was referred to the head of the ENT clinic. I never felt comfortable with this doctor but thought, this will only be temporary and he is the head of the department. The last two biopsy's have left me with jaw bone migrating through my gums. We were able to get the bone fragment the first time and the biopsy on that was Ostio Mylitis. I asked him why he was taking tissue from my mandible when my tumor is in the base of my tongue, and he looked at me with his blank look and said he did biopsy my tongue. This left my mind numb and I was unable to ask any further questions. My dentist last Thursday informed me that I still, 3 months later, have a hole in my gums. I am trying to get back under the care of my old trusted ENT but it is taking some time. I have an appointment to see my current untrusted ENT on Monday. I have not been able to find out if there is any malpractice involved. I am not looking to sue, but want the best care I can get. Some background information on me:
43 yo male, squamous cell stage 1 base of tongue. I have had excisions twice in the last 2-3 years. I have been HIV positive since 1991 and AIDS for about 10 years. The HIV health is pretty much managed. I also have early stage emphysema, major depression, anxiety disorder, managed and doing well.
I am on the fence as to go to my appointment on Monday or just cancel and wait to get back under the care of my previous ENT. I know the risk of not following through on care but have absolutely no trust in this doctor.
Please let me hear your thoughts on my situation so that I might better be able to make my decisions. Thank you, Anthony

So I saw my surgeon today and he is referring me to an oral surgeon and said they may have to remove the underside of my mandible then sew me up. In his letter he gave to me for the oral surgeon he says the bone fragment which came out of my gums suggests osteomyelitis, he had told me he biopsied it and this was the findings.

Has anyone else had anything similar to this? What was the treatment? How common might this be?

Squamous cell, tongue
First biopsy 2006, Stage 1 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013
To date: 13 surgeries & 3 nonsurgical biopsies