My first time here so I guess I better introduce my self. I'm 52 years old and have been treated for SCC 3 times: 1993, 2007 and 2010. The first time there was an ulcer on the front right side of my tongue. It was removed and I had RAD to supplement. I was clean for 13 years. This last time was the worst. The cancer was misdiagnosed by two dentists and an ENT as TMJ. Mainly because I had a lot of jaw pain but no visible tumors. This went on for 5 months before a clearly visible tumor showed up on my tonsils. It turns out the cancer this time had started at the base of my tongue. As a result, I've lost most of my tongue, which was replaced with a micro flap from my left arm. I can still speak, but not very well. And I'm learning to swallow water again. I have a PEG and use that for all my nutrition. I had both Chemo and RAD, which did not go well; it put me in the hospital for a few days because I couldn't keep anything down. During all this I lost 40 pounds. I'm now at home recuperating and feeling a lot better. Getting stronger everyday. I was a software trainer before and have lost my job. I'm now on Disability but looking to get back into the workforce someday. So I'm in the process of trying to get re-trained in another area of the computer industry so I can get back to work. Nice to meet you all. Thanks!

Woody57

SCC, Stage III, BOT, Glossectomy/Chemo/RAD/PEG. Surgery: 1993, 2007, 2010. Non-smoker, non-drinker.
Never quit, never give up, never surrender.