Finally, after a couple of false starts, I got the job done and I'm home recovering from 'liposuction and facial contour reconstruction'.

Due to the damage from the reconstruction of my jaw in 2008, the length of my face had been shortened by nearly an inch, it was lopsided and crooked. I didn;t have a chin any more and my lower lip and lower face had been pulled down. With so many surgeries due to the damage from radiotherapy, I have hardly any muscle around my neck, throat and under the chin area. My skin had been pulled so tight around that area there was no room for it to stretch, so unfortunately a chin implant was not possible.

This week I had liposuction from my jowls and stomach, and also surgery to pull skin from my jaw line and lengthen my face. The fat has been injected back to contour my lower face and loosen the flap under my 'chin' (which is an extension of my tongue flap/floor of my mouth)

The surgeon was pleased with the results, and thankfully there was no damage to nerves on either side of my mouth.

Looking beyond the swelling and bandages, I can definitely see and feel a small improvement. Those of us who have had our facial appearance damaged by this dreaded disease are grateful for any improvement, no matter how small.

The swelling will take several weeks to go down. Hopefully at my appointment with the surgeon next week the stitches will be removed.

I'll update next week.

Karen

46 yrs:
Apr 07-SCC 80% entire tongue removed,T4N1M0
Neck/D,Jaw Split, Trache 2 ops,PEG 3.5yrs
30 x rad,6 x Cisplatin,
30 x HBO
Apr'08- flap Recon + ORN Mandibulectomy
(hip bone to reconstruct jaw)
Oct'08 1 Plate out-jaw
Mar'09 Debulk flap
Sep'09/Jan&Nov'10/Feb&Jun'11/Jan&Jul'12/Oct'13/April'14-More surgery