I would like to thank you all for the warm welcome! Just being in here is comforting now and not terrifying as it was 2 weeks ago. I come in everyday to read and try to familiarize myself with everyone and their situations, I still have post op " cancer brain" so it will take me a bit to remember what I have read. My neck dissection took them 4 hrs and it is taking me the longest time to shake all the drugs, but I am not complaining.

Hahaha an elf...wish I were somedays!! Gimli chick is how people know it is me in chartrooms, we live in Gimli, Manitoba. We are largely a fishing community and tourist town, we are known as New Iceland which is the largest Icelandic settlement outside of Iceland. We used to summer here but at retirement time we made a permanent move...and we love it!

I am slowly getting back to walking outdoors and it is curling season so I can spend some time at the rink and cheer my team on! People seem amazed to have me out and about so soon after surgery but there is no time to waste and I love being out, even if it is for half an hour. I am a bit self-concious about my mouth but that will reduce in time I hope. I set the tone so if I act self assured I figure I will become self assured!lol

Now that my body is healing the emotions are flooding me, been a tough ride this week. I am acknowledging everything and letting it go thru me but the fear is stubborn and really hanging in there.

Time for meds and water, see you all soon. Thanks again for the warm welcome, I really appreciate it.

55 yrs, Female, smoked for 4 yrs 35 yrs. ago, SCC right underside tongue and floor of mouth, laser surgery took 1/3 tongue Aug 2010, 3 weeks later in Sept right neck dissection 40 nodes removed with 1microscopic spot in one node. No chemo or radiation.