Hello My 85 yr young dad who never drank or smoked (Boston VA) was diagnosed 9/09 with T3NONMO SCCA of left tonsil; they pulled some teeth he had chemo/radiation; had PET got all clear then came back left retromolar trigone and tonsil; New options - split course radiation - 2 times a day every other week for 8 weeks; may help ease pain, let him use his mouth and shrink tumor - 1 percent cure; Pain mgt/chemo - may help shrink or contain tumor; Option 3 which tumor board does not want would be to cut out jaw; part of tongue, etcc.. but they think he may not recover well due to age, emotional state, area in radiation field. From neck down he is in great health; has gone from 167- 129 pounds... I went and talked with VA oncologist, surgeon and radiation Doctors and am wondering if we should get another opinion.. Also wondering if he should of had tonsil removed in the begining.. Any advice on what you think my dad should do would be greatly appreciated - we want him to have good quality of life for whatever time he has left - currently he is in so much pain (EAR, throat) - he can not eat only uses feeding tube..

My Dad - 85 yrs old; 9/09 diagnosed T3NOMO; rad/low dose chemo; all clear; 6/10 - L retomolar trigone; more chemo; seems to have shrunk; 10/2010 back - significant ulcerative mass in the left retromolar trigone extending into the left tonsil