I cannot believe this forum has been going since 2002 and I never knew.
I'm Joan and have been a survivor or my favorite term is Thriver since 1988. I was diagnosis on 4/7/1989 and finished treatment in July of that year. I was on a VA study for the NCI at the University of Birmingham Hospital for inoperatable cancers of the Larynx. I learned later that I was one of 11 women on the study. My motto is "Guineas pigs get cured first".
I have a great deal of experience but all of it was over 20 years ago and now I'm dealing with living this long after cancer. There are always issues but all in all life is wonderful.
Since treatment I have had 3 carotid Artery endorectomies and 3 stents placed in my subclavian arteries on both sides. I am 60 now (I was 38 when I was diagnosed)and my throat is beginning to not work so well.
On the positive side - since treatment I have gotten sober and maintained sobriety for 21 years, gotten a Master's degree in Social Work, have opened my private practice 14 years ago, live on a gorgous beach with a wonderful guy in Florida.
I look forward to participating in the forum, learning when I can and helping when possible. I feel it is important to give back what I have been given.

Joan Mason
60 yrs old
Triver for 22 years
post Cancer of the Larynx
Tumor on the epiglottis
Tx began 4/25/88 end 8/12/88-I think
One of the first women to receive chemo and radiation therapy for head/neck Cancers