My husband has been in the hospital for 3 days. He's had a terrible time for the last 6 months with the radiation side jaw. He developed 2 abscesses on the outside and his maxillofacial dr. referred him to infectious disease dr. The ID dr. put him on pump IV antibiotics, and he was doing much better. The jaw pain was diminishing, and he was eating. He's been in the hospital 2 other times since Jan 1: Once with a lung abscess and more recently (end May) with pneumonia. He's been having a very hard time swallowing his meds. Then last Sat., the jaw pain got so bad I took him to ER. They are controlling his pain, but they also noticed his right lung is getting cloudy again. He definitely has dysphagia and now they want to do a PEG. We were so lucky that he got thru the radiation without a PEG. We've had a wonderful 7 years.....and I don't mean to complain. On Sat., we celebrated our 41st anniversary. Lately, I've been wondering why the radiation oncologists didn't explain what could/would happen years out.....and how we should approach these issues......I needed to vent before I go to bed...it's been a tough few days coming home to an empty house. I miss him so much....I need to be strong for him.

Husband diagnosied in 06/2003 (57 yrs old)with SCC base of tongue T1N2b. In 06/2003 started chemoradiation (35 radiation + 3 chemo). In Nov. 2003 had right neck dissection. No cancer recurrence but currently suffering from osteonecrosis.