Kinda academic at this point as to what the cause was. There are tests to explore this in the research world, but what difference would it make? My experience is that doctors seldom tell their patients that their lifestyle choices when they were younger brought them to the disease. It serves no good, even if it is fact. The patients end up beating themselves up needlessly for the choices earlier in their lives, and at this stage of things, what good does that do? One more frustration, One more, emotional burden to bear. It is easier just to say "I cannot say with certainty why this disease is in your life.... let's concentrate on making you well."

For me, I lost track of all the bad lifestyle and other choices I made in my younger years. We are all architects in some way (for the most part) of our own situations in life. I can't undo the past, I can only deal with the present, and only wonder about the future.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.