Brenda,

I am so sorry to hear about your husband. My daughter's cancer is also spreading. We actually don't know how far it has gone, but she is being treated with chemo. I'm wondering why the doctors have said no more chemo for Darren. Heather is receiving Docetaxol and Irinotecan and had previously had Docetaxol and Carboplatin. If he has only had Cisplatin and 5fu, why would they not try a new combination? Or try to get him in a clinical trial? There are new agents being tested. Even something like giving him Celebrex or Vioxx along with the chemo is a viable option.

I don't know what reaction he had to the chemo before and there are very severe long-term side effects sometimes. And there is the possibility that the chemo itself can cause death if not monitored closely, but the option of doing nothing to fight this just doesn't seem to be an acceptable one.

I would ask every question you can think of when you see the oncologist. It's also a good idea to get a second opinion. Are you near any multi-disciplinary cancer hospitals? I don't know which ones are the best in your area, but Brian probably would. You want him to be treated at a facility that deals with this every day, not by a local doctor who doesn't see it often. I think our biggest mistake was not going to a major cancer hospital in the beginning of Heather's ordeal.

Rainbows & hugs, wink
Rosie

Was primary caregiver to my daughter Heather who had stage IV base of tongue SCC w/ primary recurrence. Original diagnosis August 21st, 2002. Primary recurrence March 18th, 2003. Died October 6th, 2003.