Welcome to OCF, Carter. Im sorry to hear of your mothers illness. Its terribly scary for everyone when cancer returns. If your mother has computer access, please have her join our forum.

I have gone thru a jaw removal and reconstruction. Last August I had an extended stay at the hospital for my 10 hour operation. I now have a jaw made of steel and plenty of battle wounds (scars). Its not an easy surgery to recover from. Im still trying to return to my previous active self.

The docs may take some skin from her wrist area or thighs to use on her face. She may have a feeding tube and a trach. Ask for a possey muir type so she will still be able to talk. It worked for me, thanks to Charm and Pete who told me about it. It may take a long time to heal due to having radiation in this area.

Please ask lots of questions, here are some you may want to ask the doc. How long is the operation? How much of her jaw will be removed? How many docs will be operating? Will she require a feeding tube and a trach? If so can the feeding tube be inserted during the same operation? Is a plastic surgeon going to be helping with the operation? What kind of recovery time is she looking at? Will she need rehab (walking, speech)?

We are here to help you and your mom get thru this. Best of luck with everything.

Christine
SCC 6/15/07 L chk & by L molar both Stag I, age44
2x cispltn-35 IMRT end 9/27/07
-65 lbs in 2 mo, no caregvr
Clear PET 1/08
4/4/08 recur L chk Stag I
surg 4/16/08 clr marg
215 HBO dives
3/09 teeth out, trismus
7/2/09 recur, Stg IV
8/24/09 trach, ND, mandiblctmy
3wks medicly inducd coma