Debbie, congrats to Jim for getting through it all. The worst is over!

Reading these posts reminds me once again how different the course of treatment and recovery is for all of us. I was unable even to think about solid foods for at least three months after the end of Rads. I had no PEG and lived basically on Ensure clones for 6 or 7 months, gradually introducing things like watery oatmeal and soup.

I was also nauseated 24/7 for 3 months. Zofran did nothing and it was finally only Compazine that gave me any relief. Those were tough days. So don't put it away if Jim needs either!

As far as "recipes", I began with packs of Miso soup. Then I made myself a vegetable soup by boiling carrots and potatoes and a bit of onion with some veg bouillon. But I don't eat meat so expect you'll want something different. The main thing was making it soft and bland and letting it cool to near room temp.

Good luck to you both. He'll do fine!

The Other (or at any rate one of the others) David

David 2
SCC of occult origin 1/09 (age 55)| Stage III TXN1M0 | HPV 16+, non-smoker, moderate drinker | Modified radical neck dissection 3/09 | 31 days IMRT finished 6/09 | Hit 14 years all clear in 6/23 | Radiation Fibrosis Syndrome kicked in a few years after treatment and has been progressing since | Prostate cancer diagnosis 10/18