Well I was diagnosed with squamous cell cancer of the tongue after a biopsy 2/24/10. The surgeon told me I am the youngest person he has ever seen with this and that usually people who get it are hard drinkers for years and heavy smokers. I drink socially and smoked less than a pack a day for 10 years, granted, so I realize I contributed to my situation.

I knew I was sick from September 2009 until I went to the Dr. but having started a new job I had to wait quite a while until I had insurance. At this point my bills top about the 60,000.00 range without the bill from the surgeon OR radiation treatments, so it was a good thing that I waited. But i paid for that because perhaps due to waiting, my cancer did spread to my lymph system and is now Stage 3. I will start the first of 30 radiation treatments next week. After some of the things I have read, I am frankly terrified. To date, it has been a struggle to have the biopsy, heal up, learn to eat again, have them hack away at the tumor, only to start the whole dang process over with, and NOW I get to look forward to blisters in my mouth.
I have had a pretty good sense of humor through all of this with no crying or depression. But sometimes I feel a little jealous of folks who have families. I have never married and have no children, so I am pretty much facing this whole rodeo by myself. I am finding myself increasingly isolated and quite lonely, because I really have no one that understands what this is like, although friends are well meaning and loving. Some days its just real hard to do this alone. Then again, Its probably good that no one has to endure all this crap with me either.
I guess at this point I am rambling a bit.... but I am sure you guys understand better than others do. Thanks for reading this.
Lisa from Montana