Last week I went for a root canal on a back molar. The tooth was crowned and actually supported a bridge.

When the endodontist got into it he found a huge cavity under the crown and had to cut off the crown/bridge. So it wasn't a root canal issue to begin with, just a cavity due to the crown leaking.

He also had to remove most of the visible tooth and knowing he shouldn't pull it, he did the root canal on what was left. Now he says it may not be adequate to support a post and another crown/bridge.

Anyway before all of this my regular dentist said the endodontist might want to go through the gums, so I checked with the Cancer Center and they expected him to call so they could unarchive, review and transfer the radiation data for that area.

Today the CC called and I told them the endodontist went through the bottom of the tooth, (not the gums) and what has happened. They seem upset that the endodontist didn't check with them first, just to be prepared.

Tomorrow I have to go to the CC and see their Prosthodontist for an evaluation. Then I see my RO and they will decide how to best deal with it.

Apparently trying to reuse what is left of the molar for another bridge might be too risky, crack and lead to an extraction.

They had not unarchived my data, so they really don't know if I would need HBO or not, so maybe they will decide it is OK to pull and get an implant, or try an reuse what is left for another crown/bridge.

What a mess... Any experiences like this?

Don
TXN2bM0 Stage IVa SCC-Occult Primary
FNA 6/6/08-SCC in node<2cm
PET/CT 6/19/08-SCC in 2nd node<1cm
HiRes CT 6/21/08
Exploratory,Tonsillectomy(benign),Right SND 6/23/08
PEG 7/3/08-11/6/08
35 TomoTherapy 7/16/08-9/04/08 No Chemo
Clear PET/CT 11/15/08, 5/15/09, 5/28/10, 7/8/11