Kate,

I'm not a tongue cancer survivor however after my initial surgery to replace my jaw and remove the damaged tissue from the right half of my face, my facial nerve was damaged paralyzing that side of my face and scar tissue anchored my tongue severely.

The effects to my speech and appearance were dramatic to say the least. I was a General Manager of a few hotels and speaking and my appearance were really integral to my job. Like Donna, I'm also on long term disability now, deemed unable to continue in the work I prided myself in. In the past year I've redifined myself a bit to change my situation.

In April of last year I came up with a business concept, and formed a small company. At first I would do market analysis for other companies and ended up doing a marketing plan for a regional credit union. I formed a relationship with the CEO of that credit union and instead of taking payment for the plan, I asked the CEO to consider financing any business projects I had in the future, as long as the business plans made sense to her. She readily agreed.

We just obtained our first of many projects through that financing. I've also taken on a few more consulting opportunities, one of which is more for personal satisfaction really, however I'm working towards getting off of long term disability for the long term.

I've had many chats with my speech pathologist about how to cope with my new impediment and am working hard (2x a week) to work on my speech...but mechanically speaking it will never be the same, however it can be "good enough" to make it work for me.

Anyway my dear, I can relate to you somewhat and understand your frustration and what I would say is don't underestimate your worth or confine yourself to a box so to speak. If you don't believe in yourself and your abilities how can you expect others to do so?

Best Wishes

Eric

Young Frack, SCC T4N2M0, Cisplatin,35+ rads,ND, RT Mandiblectomy w fibular free flap, facial paralysis, "He who has a "why" to live can bear with almost any "how"." -Nietzche "WARNING" PG-13 due to Sarcasm & WAY too much attitude, interact at your own risk.