I am an analytical person, and damn near drove myself nuts with the various statistics I could find. Keep in mind that there are numerous variables in the reported statistics that have nothing to do with the cancer itself -- i.e. how old is the patient, what other health issues do they have, where are they being treated, what methodology is being used, how compliant are they with treatment/medications/follow ups, are they still smoking/drinking? No way to sort all of that stuff out.

As others have said, it is also true that the majority of posts you will see come from those with ongoing issues. This is not only true with cancer forums, but with quitting smoking forums, sports forums or anything similar. Human nature that we are not as vocal about good things happening as we are about bad things. (I'd LOVE to see a whole study on that sometime . . . ) That creates quite a perception gap. I know I don't post nearly as often now, coming up on three years out, as I did early on. Part of it is the human nature thing, and part of it is a reticence to be viewed as trumpeting your good luck when others are having such struggles.

Anyway, one thing I KNOW -- we ain't going to out-think the disease -- we just have to out-work it!

Jeff
SCC Right BOT Dx 3/28/2007
T2N2a M0G1,Stage IVa
Bilateral Neck Dissection 4/11/2007
39 x IMRT, 8 x Cisplatin Ended 7/11/07
Complete response to treatment so far!!