I am trying to decide when to have my PEG tube removed: sooner or later. I finished radiation on 07/09/09 and was unable to swallow at all due to an undiagnosed esophageal stricture. The stricture was finally diagnosed and successfully dilated.

I have been on 100% oral intake since Feb 01,2010. Unfortunately, the oral intake is still mostly Ensure liquid suppplement due to problems with xerostomia and my tongue being tethered due to scarring. I do 1 or 2 servings of solid food a day,( 400-500 calories) just to keep the swallowing going.

How far along are most people with their solid food intake when they have their PEG tubess removed? Is there any risk in being this dependent on Ensure for removing the tube? Should I wait to have it removed? Am I waiting for anything in particular?

Thanks for your thoughts!

Mike

age 53 TxN2bM0 stage IV tongue and 2 nodes, non smoker, non-drinker, heavy plastic wrap exposure 25+ years, 2 surgeries, neck dissection, 60 GY IMRT+ cisplatin X5 completed 07/09, new primary on tongue 11/09, biopsy got it all, praise God!