My brother has had four major sugeries, three being this year.
Four years ago cancer found on left side of tongue. Small section of tongue removed received radiation.Cancer back in early '09. Half of tongue removed and lymph nodes on both sides removed. Flap built from leg and forarm. 35 radiation treatments. Never recovered from radiation before severe debilitating headaches started. MRI showed no cancer. Headaches continued getting worse each day. Finally PET scan done. Cancer returned. Removed tongue and built flap from back. Home from hospital doing most treatment with visiting nurse. One week later, Flap became infected, emergency surgery to remove flap and rebuild another flap from left chest. Should be out of hospital but is still in rehab. More surgery because wounds won't heal on chest. Fake skin put on chest wound that won't heal. Trac still in, some drooling. He is giving up. Has anyone been through this much? He is down to 131 lbs. All he wants is a drink of water. Goes back to Dr. next week, is begging to go home. Is there any hope of drinking water, talking, etc.
His dream is to just get back on the golf course. I am concerned that there is no hope for his recovery.
I don't live in the same state and try and go every few months to visit. Has anyone been through this much? All of this from a small spot on his tongue and was told numerous times that it was nothing. Help me understand.