RPCV and Eric.... yeah, bunny rescue is ahead of us. Again this is a popularity contest not a measure of what has more social value. As for me everyone knows that I love animals.... they are delicious!

I just had to say that for effect.... For the moans and groans I knew it would elicit. I actually believe that my dog Barkley is sentient. Something people argue against when speaking of animals. But this dog has emotions, empathy in particular when I am sick, he is certainly self aware (one of the core components of an argument on sentience), and aware of his surroundings and his appropriate relationship to the hierarchy of his place in them. His self awareness is really quite developed, and he understands the context of situations he finds himself in, that are occurring in his life. He has hopes, another criteria. (He hopes that his standing by the front door or his empty water bowl will get my attention and elicit the appropriate response.) By these very well established criteria for sentience, which some only attribute to homo sapiens, he measures up. Bunnies? I'm not so sure. Some of my buddies I used to party with?.... also not so sure.

Brian, stage 4 oral cancer survivor. OCF Founder and Director. The first responsibility of a leader is to define reality. The last is to say thank you. In between, the leader is a servant.