Dear Noor, There is a wealth of information on this website for sharing with other people. Go to the home page and do some reading, and you are welcome to use any of that information.

I, too, had a partial maxillectomy and a neck dissection. I used a plastic hinged device called a "Therabite." It allows the jaw to be forced open and held, while giving the user total control. The opening force is generated by the user's hands.

In the U.S., insurance generally pays for the Therabite if it is prescribed by a physician. It is ridiculously expensive otherwise.

If you can't get a Therabite, there are people who suggest using tongue depressors, stacked up, gradually increasing the height of the stack, to force open and hold open the mouth.

Please do something! Otherwise, you will be left with a mouth that will not open enough to insert your obturator, or get your teeth cleaned, or to allow someone to look down your throat.

I no longer use the Therabite device, but I stretch my mouth open as far as possible several times a day, sometimes using my hands to help force it open a bit more.

There are many comments about the Therabite and about mouth and jaw exercises. Do a "search" and then settle down to read for a while!!

--Colleen

Colleen--T-2N0M0 SCC dx'd 12/28/05...Hemi-maxillectomy, partial palatectomy, neck dissection 1/4/06....clear margins, neg. nodes....no radiation, no chemo....Cancer-free at 4 years!