Three weeks post Tx I was just walking out of that dark tunnel and I couldn't taste crap, literally. LOl Way way way to soon to be pushing him about eating solid foods because believe me there is nothing worse than putting something in your mouth that your brain remembers what it's supposed to taste like only to have your taste buds (what's left of them) tell you something far far different.

His taste recovery may well take all of 2 years and during that time he will slowly regain some to all of his pre TX taste ability. I'm 3 years out and I still don't taste things 100% like I used to but I'm more than satisfied how much I've recovered since the end of radiation.

Another thing he will have to mentally deal with is that due to his dry mouth, which will also gradually improve from where it is today, eating will take much much longer. Add the yucky to no taste sensation and the whole eating experience plummets to a 1 or 2 out of 10 on the pleasure scale. Really that's all eating is, it's a pleasurable event, otherwise we would all just take a pill each day.

I lived off of Carnation VHC for close to a year post Tx. I always drank one with each meal to make sure I was getting enough calories.

It will get better.

David

Age 58 at Dx, HPV16+ SCC, Stage IV BOT+2 nodes, non smoker, casual drinker, exercise nut, Cisplatin x 3 & concurrent IMRT x 35,(70 Gy), no surgery, no Peg, Tx at Moffitt over Aug 06. Jun 07, back to riding my bike 100 miles a wk. Now doing 12 Spin classes and 60 outdoor miles per wk. Nov 13 completed Hilly Century ride for Cancer, 104 miles, 1st Place in my age group. Apr 2014 & 15, Spun for 9 straight hrs to raise $$ for YMCA's Livestrong Program. Certified Spin Instructor Jun 2014.