Your ENT must be a sadist or else sadly misinformed. I can understand weaning off the fenatyl patches (synthetic morphine) but c'mon percocet? As long as you have pain, keep taking them. The most common perception is that cancer patients get "hooked" on opiates. It is a qualitatively different thing to be taking percocet for post TX pain instead of seeking a high when perfectly normal. The first time around, my RO and MO kept me on percocet and oxycodone for five months after TX and boy did that help with the painful Trismus exercises and keeping my mouth stretched. I had zero problems quitting with not even one sleepless night (unlike the patches where I did need to reduce dosage as cold turkey caused too much insomnia).
This second time around, it is now six months past surgery and I am down to one percocet a night before bed as that is when my jaw and neck ache so bad. I am guessing you did not go to a CCC where they understand how pain delays recovery. In fairness to your ENT, he may be just DEA shy instead of clueless. Bottom line is you should not have "to endure pain" .

65 yr Old Frack
Stage IV BOT T3N2M0 HPV 16+
2007:72GY IMRT(40) 8 ERBITUX No PEG
2008:CANCER BACK Salvage Surgery
25GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin
Apaghia /G button
2012: CANCER BACK -left tonsilar fossa
40GY-CyberKnife(5) 3 Carboplatin

Passed away 4-29-13