This is my 1st post? I think i am doing this right?
My mom was diagnosed with, (prior to surgery) stage 1 oral cancer, on the left side of her tongue. She was diagnosed by her dentist of 40 yrs who is like a family member given his nature. He arranged for her Surgical (DDS) oncologist? appt at UCSF. We all went and he said surgery is the 1st course of treatment. The surgery was scheduled, they removed approx 1/3 of her tongue. I think she is recovering well. She is eating better, but not real solid food, which is to be expected. She doesnt seem to be losing any weight. When we went for the follow up when we were told she is Stage 4a, T4N1M0. The tumor was almost 2cm and they took out over 30 lymph nodes and found (1) to be positve and 2 cm also. As I write this, I realize there is so much I am not sure of, everything happened so fast. Diagnosed and surgery within 5 wks. They referred us to a radiation oncologist, however, the Dr. stated that she, (mom), was on the bubble as far as his recommendation of radiation. He stated that survival rates are 50/50. She is 72 and leads an active lifestyle. My folks live in a remote area of northern calif and I live in southern calif. We have discussed her doing radiation down south, but the Dr says there is nothing like home for recovery. She does have Rhumetoid Arthritis, but you would never know it when interacting with her, and we are concerned about that factor. Her surgery was July 30, 2009 and her Radiation consult is Sept 2nd. We have been reading so much internet info that it makes our heads swim. We have been discussing a second opinion for the radiation. Any suggestions?
Thanks to all and well wishes.

Patty, daughter. Mom has Stage 4a T4N1M0, tongue primary, Dx June 09, surgery removed 1/3 of tongue and N/D July 09. Anticipate starting rad in Sept/Oct.