Dana,

"Caveman style" just about describes it. When the Oncology nurse first told me that they just yank it out I assumed she was joking. WRONG! They had me to lie flat on my back on the table and then warned me and suggested I grip the sides of the table. It was then suddenly over and hurt like the devil for 2 to 3 minutes. It hurt so bad for the first minute that I was amazed that the pain went away so soon afterward. I was then told it would be okay to eat and drink right away but let me warn you of something. On the way home as my wife drove, we stopped to grab a fast food meal for me, including a carbonated soft drink. I should warn you NOT to do the same. As I drank while eating I suddenly noticed that my shirt became soaked as the carbonated drink was leaking through my stomach! Needless to say, we freaked out about this and called for one of my nurses as soon as we got home. The nurse we spoke with said something like "oh yeah, you shouldn't drink any carbonated drinks for the first 48 hours".

That turned out to be my learning experience and want to pass that along for what it's worth.

Bill D.

Dx 4/27/06, SCC, BOT, Stage III/IV, Tx 5/25/06 through 7/12/06 - 33 IMRT and 4 chemo, radical right side neck dissection 9/20/06.